1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
There’s a few things in 2015 I’ve done that I have never done before. I think the biggest thing that stands out is studying for and passing the PHR exam.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I decided to spend less money and make more memories. Well, I still spent money but we definitely made the best memories by deciding to buy our camper and spending every weekend at the lake. I can’t wait for May.
In 2016 I’d like to do more yoga and continue to make memories with my family and friends. I already laugh a lot but I’m going to laugh more.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
A few weeks ago I got the call from a coworker at my last job telling me one of the employees had passed away. I cried for him. I adored him. We talked a lot and he had shared a lot with me while he was sick. That’s what happens when you work in HR. People come to you because they have to and then they tell you stuff because they trust you and then you become friends. Every time he came to my office he brought me a bag of peanut m&ms and last year when I graduated he brought me wine. Such a kind soul. So while we were not close outside of work and when he was too sick to work we lost touch, mostly because I got a new job, but man, to hear that made my gut hurt. And cancer sucks.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
2015 was the year I fell in love with yoga. It’s the first time I’ve loved any type of exercise more than I love running. Yoga does things for my mind and body that running can’t even touch. Yoga brought me out of the Funk of 2015. I’d like to do more yoga in 2016.
7. What moments from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The weekend we spent at Great Wolf Lodge. The 4th of July weekend-our first real weekend at the camper. Our family vacation to Mackinaw Island. Starting my new job.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Passing the PHR exam.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Being too hard on myself.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The camper!!! So much amazing family time.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Lucas. He’s such an amazing kid. He blows my mind. Everybody adores Lucas and he will never see it like we do.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I like to think that ones behavior (when questionable) is based on something that makes them insecure or angry so I try hard not to let other people appall me to the extent of depression however; people who are so close minded that can’t dig up a single ounce of empathy for others, it hurts my heart.
14. Where did most of your money go?
House, childcare, camper.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our family vacation to Mackinaw Island. 2015 was the year that we could finally really do stuff as a family of four without packing a million baby things, worrying about potty training, and coordinating nap times. So so nice.
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Same
c) richer or poorer? Richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading books for leisure.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying about the future. It’s happening either way, right?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With family. With my boys. I love watching them fall deep into the magic of the holiday. And every year I play Santa, I love (and appreciate) my mom more than I ever could. She was so good at making holidays and birthdays special, I didn’t realize how much work it was for her. (I wish she was here so she could know I get it now. Thank you, mom)
21. Did you fall in love in 2015?
Not to be cheesy but I love my husband. And every year, I think it’s safe to say, that I love him differently because we grow together through these seasons in our life together. I fell in love with him in 2005 but there are days or months that I find something new to love about him and that’s pretty awesome.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Mad Men. Parenthood. Ray Donovan. I’m always going to watch KUWTK because I can’t help myself.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is a strong word.
24. What was the best book you read?
The Girl on the Train. It was also the only book I’ve read besides a lot of PHR books and texts books. Blah.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Down in the Valley by The Head and the Heart. And a million other songs I adore.
26. What did you want and get?
A job that I love.
27. What did you want and not get?
Eyeliner that doesn’t smear. A new front door.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Favorite is a strong word since I don’t have time a lot of time to watch movies but:
The Gift. (Don’t be a meanie)
Vacation was also funny.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My birthday is in January so that is tough to remember. But I turned 38 and I’m soon to be 39 and I’m not sure how I feel about that.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Nothing. It was a great year. I think worrying less would increase my ability to embrace each moment for what it is but hey, I am who I am.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Life: leggings, cardigans, gray tshirt, yoga pants.
Work: more skirts. But also gray and black per the usual.
32. What kept you sane?
Running, yoga, my husband, my friends.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan)
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?
My mom. Oh my sweet mom who I’ll spend the rest of my life wishing I had been a better daughter to, and wishing she didn’t have to die of an illness that robbed her of her quality of life and confused us for so long. I wish she could see my children and I wish we could meet for coffee. Some days the pain is as real as the day I lost her but most days it’s okay and I’m really okay.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Devra. I knew her last year but I didn’t really know her until this year and I adore her.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
Pick your battles wisely and don’t die on that hill.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“And all those things I didn’t say
Wrecking balls inside my brain
I will scream them loud tonight
Can you hear my voice this time?”
Happy New Year. 2016.