A Lucas Story

I saw my doctor on Thursday afternoon and once again he gave me no update and didn’t check me to see if I was progressing. I was bummed and kept telling family and friends that I was fairly certain this baby would make his debut in mid August rather than early August.

Boy was I wrong. He was “officially” 10 days early from my original due date. He is so sneaky.

And here’s the story:

After an evening of Scrabble on the deck, Rob and I went to bed around 10:30. I was having a hard time falling asleep initially but soon did. I woke up at 12:30 with some pain (like I had been having) and used the bathroom. I went and laid down again and the pain started to get worse. I got up and began pacing. This was sort of my first inclination that something wasn’t right, I’m not a fan of pacing or people who pace. Pacing was the only way I could concentrate on whether or not the contractions were real. I started timing them and they were 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long. This is when I went into denial. I prolonged waking Rob for fear that it was false and I knew he had to work in the morning. But then when I had to stop during each one to breathe…it was then that I decided Rob was waking up either way.


Funny thing. He wouldn’t wake up. After all this waiting and his impatience, the man took all but a bucket of water on the head to get some stirring! Finally he jumps up and I tell him what’s been happening and he takes over the timing. Now they are 3 minutes apart and lasting 1 minute. We call the doctor. While I’m calling the doctor, Rob is getting ready. Hat on, shoes on, finding keys, grabbing chargers….here comes my denial again.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m pretty sure we are going to the hospital.”

“Noway!” And I was serious. I still thought it was not going to happen.

1:50 am:

The doctor calls back, I tell him what’s happening and he says to go to the hospital. He said I could go now or wait 45 minutes. (Remember that 45 minutes, that’s important for later)

I decide to leave now. I’m in pain and just want to know what’s going on.

Before we leave the house, I feel a trickle. I either peed or my water broke.

2:05 am:

We arrive at the hospital and we walk into the ER. I’m surprised at how fast someone comes to get you when you tell the front desk lady you are labor. Actually when I walked in she asked me right away in a voice that sounded scared, “Are you in labor?”

“Gosh lady, I don’t know, I guess.”

Two seconds later there is a man with a wheel chair.

We are put in a triage room so they can check me and tell me whether or not we are for sure staying. I tell the nurse about my trickle and she does a test to check me for amniotic fluid and also checks me for dilation.

She tells me I’m dilated to a 2 and I ask her where the bathroom is. When I go to the bathroom there is a very big gush of fluid, I’m pretty sure it’s not pee and just as that happens I overhear her telling Rob that the test was positive for amniotic fluid and we are staying. They get things going to move me into my own room.

3:00 am

I’m finally all settled in and asking for the drugs. Over the last hour I have dilated to a 4 and I’m ready to just relax. The nurse tells me I need 2 bags of fluid in me before they can administer the epidural but I’m next so I shouldn’t have to wait long. She tells me a half hour at most. Okay, the pain is pretty bad but I can do this for a half hour, no problem.


4:00 am

I’m still waiting on the first bag of fluid and I am in some serious pain. I begin getting very frustrated and I am rude to the nurse. I keep asking Rob why I can’t I just have it and he keeps telling me just a little longer. I tell him it’s fucking ridiculous and I’m sort of waiting for him to beat someone up in my honor so I can get the drugs. I also go on and on about how I know I’m being a baby for only being dilated to a 4 but this pain is real and it SUCKS.

At this point no one had checked me since they told me I was 4 so I assumed I was still a 4 or maybe a 5.


The nurse is still apologetic but offers me some other drug for my IV that will not stop me from feeling contractions but will help me relax.

I take it.

It does help me relax so at least I can lay down and breathe through them without getting angry every time but it is still very painful. And when I say painful, I mean I am actually PRAYING TO JESUS and saying the Hail Mary to get through them.  (in my head, of course) I am quiet until…..

4:45 am:

The nurse comes in to do some fake checking on the computer and I tell her I feel the need to push.

“Hmmm…probably not, I know it hurts. Just a few more minutes until we get you the drugs.”

PROBABLY NOT? I’m telling you, I feel the need to push, bitch! Okay, I only thought that and just waited for the next contraction.

It happens not soon after and she is still standing there looking fake busy at the computer. She hears me groaning. It was the sound I made to RESIST the feeling to push.

She is the concerned.

“Oh wow, you do sound like you are trying not to push, let me get the doctor in here to check you.”


5:00 am:

The doctor checks me and I am dilated to a NINE and 100% effaced.  AND I HAVE NO DRUGS.

I realize then that I’m not a baby, I’m a fricken rock star.

The nurse rushes to get the the anesthesiologist and they argue about how I’ve only had one bag of fluid and not two.

“If you don’t do it now, she will not get an epidural at all.”

I do not like the sound of that.

Finally, the anesthesiologist gives in and he give me my epidural.

This is when I realize that if I had waited the 45 minutes before going to the hospital like the doctor said I could, I would have had this baby with no drugs.  I am thankful that I am impatient.

5:45 am

I am in heaven.  The doctor checks me and tells me that we are going to let me rest a bit since I’ve had a rough few hours and let my uterus do most of the pushing to get the baby to the canal so I don’t have to push as much when it’s time.

I’m okay with this because I’m scared to push.

7:30 am

The doctor comes back and asks me how I feel about pushing.  I am still scared so I tell her that I want to wait.  She tells me it’s fine, the baby can still come down a bit and he is doing great but no matter what we will start pushing at 9:00 am.

I, for some reason, am terrified of pushing.

9:00 am

It’s time to push.  They get me all set up and I start to push at 9:20 while watching Roseanne.  In between pushes I laugh at the show.  I think it’s funny.

Pushing ends up being not as bad as I thought.  I push with all I have and I get excited for Rob because he is so incredibly good at this coaching thing and keeps telling me what is happening.

10:00 am

I’m still pushing.  That’s not uncommon at all.  In between pushes I decide I need something else to watch.  I start flipping and guess what’s on?  FAMILY FUED!  Rob thinks this is the funniest thing ever, which it is.


Luke comes out.  The doctor tells me to grab him and I can’t stop crying and laughing.  I talk to him and he looks right up at me.  He knows my voice and it amazes me.

The whole time since then:

I can’t stop staring at him.  He is my favorite new person in this entire world.  And we MADE him.

Next Post
Leave a comment


  1. Congratulations!!! He’s precious and you’re one brave lady! I am soooo freaking scared of labor pains, I sometimes wonder if a C-section is the best way to go.

  2. Congratulations! He’s adorable and you and Rob look fantastic. Can’t wait to see more photos of the little guy!

  3. This made me just a tad weepy. So happy for you and Rob. Yay, Lucas!

  4. Oh my gosh, I love this. This post really makes me a little less scared to have kids myself someday. lol

    I can’t believe how much hair Lucas has! He’s so precious. I’m so, so excited for you and Rob. You guys really are going to be the best parents ever.

  5. Congratulations!

  6. He is so gorgeous. And you ARE a rockstar! Now you can tell him for the rest of his life that Mommy was in labor with no drugs for hours and hours! 🙂

  7. I love that you were watching Family Feud when he was born. You will remember that forever, I’m sure.


  8. Anonymous

     /  August 6, 2008

    Congratulations. I don’t even know you but this post made me cry just a little. Sniff Sniff. Ok, I’ll stop being a sissy, but what a sweet post. Congratulations again! He’s beautiful!
    Side note: Why do all hospitals everywhere use the same baby blankets? Just askin’!

  9. Congratulations. I don’t even know you but this post made me cry just a little. Sniff Sniff. Ok, I’ll stop being a sissy, but what a sweet post. Congratulations again! He’s beautiful!
    Side note: Why do all hospitals everywhere use the same baby blankets? Just askin’!

  10. You totally cracked me up with your story of watching Roseanne and Family Feud. That is awesome.

    Congratulations again!

  11. Omigod!! He is so BEAUTIFULLLLL!!! And you are TOTALLY a rockstar! Congrats to you both! Keep the pictures coming!

  12. S

     /  August 9, 2008

    congratulations and a huge welcome to luke into this world 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

  • Email me!

    togethertheycome at yahoo dot com
  • History

  • Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: